Regulatory Information


Regulatory Information

All our foreign exchange transactions are processed through an Authorised Dealer Bank in South Africa in strict accordance with South African Reserve Bank (SARB) Exchange Control Rules and Regulations. FX Paymaster is an Authorised Financial Services Provider (FSP – 46213) regulated by the Financial Services Board (FSB) and a Primary Accountable Institution registered with the Financial Intelligence Centre Act, under reference number AI/151126/00009.

Ensuring that our clients funds are secure is our highest priority. We have safeguards in place to protect your money, every step of the way. We comply fully with the FSCA regulations and South African Reserve Bank exchange controls. All deals are supported by electronic deal tickets and all phone calls are recorded for mutual security.

We are fully Authorised & Regulated

FX Paymaster (Pty) Ltd is an Authorised Financial Services Provider registered with the FSCA (FSP No. 46213)

Our Banking Partners

As an intermediary service provider, we sit between the client and the bank. We are never primary to any transactions which means that our clients never pay us directly. When settling your foreign exchange contracts, you will only ever transfer funds into your own account at one of dedicated partner banks. (Mercantile Bank or Investec Bank)

Resolving Complaints

In terms of the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act (FAIS, Act37 of 2002) every Financial Services Provider (FSP) who is authorised to provide financial advice and/or intermediary services to clients, have the duty to offer clients a formal process to resolve complaints.

The complaint resolution process must offer the client the opportunity to lodge a complaint and have the complaint resolved within 6 weeks.

In the event of the complaint not being resolved within 6 weeks the client can escalate the complaint to the FAIS Ombud for a final ruling. Such complaint must be lodged within six months after the determination that the complaint could not be resolved by the FSP. To lodge a formal complaint please email